Our Lady Help of Christians,
Ardlethan Parish
incorporating Sacred Heart, Ariah Park
Delete photo - 180418_Blessing_FrMullins_Medals.JPG
Commemoration 2016
Delete photo - 180206_Medals_Ardlethan_Rszd.jpg
Confirm
Are you sure you want to delete this?
31 Mithul Street, Ardlethan, NSW, 2665
Fr Sijo Jose
(02) 6978 2585

History

Our Lady Help of Christians Parish/Church, Ardlethan

The original Ardlethan parish of the Catholic Church, formed in 1910, stretched from Barmedman to west of Binya. Father Thomas Mullins was appointed its first parish priest. He resided at Barmedman and under very difficult conditions served his large parish travelling in a buggy drawn by his two fractious horses. Fortnightly Mass was celebrated in the newly built public hall in Warri Street.  In 1910, with much foresight, Father Mullins and his parishioners decided to build a large and substantial brick church, the foundation stone of which was laid in May 1911 and the building, completed at a cost of 1200 pounds, opened in March 1914. The newly erected church was a focal point both religiously and socially in the lives of the parishioners.

On Sunday mornings the local dust would be stirred by the arrival of all kinds of horse drawn vehicles carrying families to Mass. With the tin mining boom and the subsequent increase in population, the church was being filled to capacity and there was already a suggestion of enlarging the building.  This, however, did not happen until 1957, when the original high vaulted structure was harmoniously renovated and enlarged, without losing its original character and imposing appearance. After the death of Father Mullins in 1939, the parishioners erected a memorial to him. When the church was remodelled, a beautiful white Sicilian marble

altar was erected in the sanctuary and in it was set the symbol of gallantry, his Military Cross.

 Taken from "United by One Vision", pp 47 - 48

The History of Coolamon Shire

 https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59f7a1b5a8b2b06d65accc3e/t/59fbf2f9419202b415e6a727/1509684031017/CoolomanS.pdf

 


 

St Joseph’s School, Ardlethan

A convent and school to provide for the education of the families of the Catholic community of Ardlethan and district was a dream brought to realisation by the first Parish Priest, Rev. Father Thomas Mullins.

Blocks of land in the private subdivision of Ardlethan West were given to church authorities in 1908, but in 1912 Father Mullins secured blocks in the official village on which the buildings were later erected. Father Mullins' plans were delayed on his service in the 1914-18 war, but on his return to Ardlethan in 1920 he continued the building program begun by the acting Priest, Father M.D. O'Sullivan.

The convent and classrooms were opened and blessed on September 28, 1924. About 60 children were enrolled at the school when it opened in January 1925.  Children had to be seven years of age or over to enrol.

Taken from "United by One Vision" p 42

The History of Coolamon Shire

 https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59f7a1b5a8b2b06d65accc3e/t/59fbf2f9419202b415e6a727/1509684031017/CoolomanS.pdf

© Copyright 2021 CG.ORG.AU